Tag Archive for Undergoes

UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson Undergoes Successful Shoulder Surgery

Demetrious Johnson underwent shoulder surgery on Wednesday to fix an issue that had been giving him pain since December.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Holly Holm undergoes surgery for shattered thumb following loss at UFC on FOX 20

Talk about a rough night.

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm lost her second straight fight after getting outworked and outpointed by top 135-pound contender Valentina Shevchenko at the UFC on FOX 20 event last month in Chicago, Illinois.

And now she has a shattered thumb to go with it.

“She had eight pins inserted into her hand,” Manager Lenny Fresquez told ESPN.com. “We’d still like to fight by the end of the year. As far as an opponent, we’ll have to see who comes up. Whoever she fights, Holly needs to take care of business.”

“Overrated,” according to this fighter.

Holm slipped to No. 4 in the division rankings (see them here), but maintained her place among the top female fighters by generating big numbers at the box office. Where she goes from here remains to be seen, but the title — and Ronda Rousey — are currently out of reach.

For now.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

‘Cyborg’ Santos undergoes successful seven-hour surgery

Evangelista Santos finally underwent surgery on Wednesday, and it was a success.

The Brazilian MMA veteran suffered a fracture in his skull during a welterweight clash with Michael Page at Bellator 158 on July 16, and underwent surgery 11 days later in Houston, Texas, to fix the injury.

“I had surgery yesterday, and thank God everything went fine,” Santos told MMA Fighting on Thursday. “It lasted seven hours, and the hospital will give Bellator a full report later today. God guided the doctors in this surgery so everything went well.”

Prior to the surgery, Santos (21-18) told MMA Fighting that he was planning on fighting 10 more times before retiring. A day after the procedure, “Cyborg” has yet to know when he will be cleared to train again.

“They didn’t tell me anything about timetable for recovery yet,” he said. “I’ll be released from hospital today, and then they will tell me how long it will take. But it will be fast. I’ll be back soon.”

“Cyborg” returned from retirement in the beginning of the year, defeating Artenas Yuogn via decision at Legacy FC 50. He signed with Bellator MMA and made his promotional debut three months later, beating Brennan Ward via first-round submission. Santos returned to action twice in the next three months, losing to Saad Awad and Michael Page.

MMA Fighting – All Posts

Cyborg Santos undergoes seven-hour skull surgery, plans ‘fast’ MMA return ‘soon’

Longtime mixed martial arts (MMA) veteran Evangelista Santos suffered a fractured skull in his technical knockout loss to Michael Page at the Bellator 158 event earlier this month in London, England.

See the gnarly pic here.

As a result, “Cyborg” flew back to Houston, Texas, where he underwent a seven-hour surgery to make the necessary repairs. The good news is, the Brazilian avoided any complications and expects to return to the cage “soon.”

From his conversation with MMA Fighting:

“I had surgery yesterday, and thank God everything went fine. It lasted seven hours, and the hospital will give Bellator a full report later today. God guided the doctors in this surgery so everything went well. They didn’t tell me anything about timetable for recovery yet. I’ll be released from hospital today, and then they will tell me how long it will take. But it will be fast. I’ll be back soon.”

I admire his optimism.

Santos (21-18) turns 39 later this year and despite his unyielding zeal, will have a long road back to combat sports. Not only will he need to be medically cleared to get punched in the head, “Cyborg” will have to get an athletic commission to rubber stamp his license.

With 12 knockouts in 18 losses, that won’t be as easy as it sounds.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

‘Shogun’ Rua undergoes surgery, eyes early 2016 return to the UFC

Mauricio Rua went under the knife in Sao Paulo, and feels “good as new”.

“I had surgery on my right shoulder this past Sunday in Sao Paulo, with my orthopedist Dr. Daniel Delaquilla, and everything went well,” Rua posted Wednesday on his Facebook.

“I already did the ‘post-surgery’ appointment yesterday, Tuesday, and we are already taking care of my recovery to be back strong, ‘good as new’, early next year.”

The former UFC and PRIDE champion, who defeated Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via decision at UFC 190, suggested a rematch with Quinton Jackson for his next bout, but won’t be able to return to the Octagon until 2016.

Rua (23-10) entered UFC 190 coming off four losses in five bouts, and defeated “Minotouro” in a close unanimous decision.

The light heavyweight veteran plans on training at Rafael Cordeiro’s King MMA in California for his next UFC fight.

MMA Fighting – All Posts

Bellator champion ‘Pitbull’ Freire undergoes surgery, eyes November return against Georgi Karakhanyan

Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire went under the knife on Thursday night.

The Brazilian fighter, who stopped Daniel Weichel in June to successfully defend his featherweight title for the second time, spoke with MMAFighting.com right after the surgery, explaining he had just repaired a deviated septum.

Freire’s team posted no Instagram that the champion was “basically been breathing only through his mouth for more than a year”.

Expecting an “enormous improvement” after the nose surgery, “Pitbull” told MMAFighting.com he expects to enter the cage around November against Georgi Karakhanyan, but contracts are yet to be signed.

Karakhanyan (24-4-1) was scheduled to challenge Freire for the title at Bellator 138, but was forced out due to a knee injury. A former WSOF 145-pound champion, Karakhanyan, went 2-2 in his first run under the Bellator banner in 2010-11, including a third-round knockout loss to Freire.

MMA Fighting – All Posts

John Makdessi undergoes successful jaw surgery

John Makdessi had successful surgery on his broken jaw Sunday in Las Vegas, his manager Hector Castro informed MMAFighting.com. Makdessi broke his jaw late in the second round of his UFC 187 fight against Donald Cerrone on Saturday night. The injury forced him to verbally submit.

According to Castro, Makdessi’s jaw broke in one place, which is actually good, however, he will now be forced to have his jaw wired shut for six weeks and stick to a liquid-only diet.

“John is very emotional right now,” Castro said. “He is very upset with his performance. He wanted to put on a better show for the fans but will bounce back from the experience stronger.”

In a Facebook post, Makdessi wrote about the injury and wondered out loud whether fighting at 155 pounds leaves him at a disadvantage.

Following the fight, UFC president Dana White showered Makdessi with praise.

“Makdessi, I have so much respect for you,” White told FOX Sports 1. “Thank you for taking that fight on short notice and thank you for fighting the fight that you fought.”

Makdessi is hoping to fly home to Montreal Monday night.

MMA Fighting – All Posts

Anthony Pettis undergoes successful elbow surgery

Anthony Pettis underwent successful elbow surgery Tuesday in Las Vegas, according to his manager Mike Roberts.

The surgery was performed by the UFC’s orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Steven Sanders. Pettis suffered a torn muscle and ligaments in his right elbow last week during wrestling practice. The injury forced him to withdraw from his July 25 fight against Myles Jury.

The former UFC lightweight champion is tentatively scheduled to be out for four-to-six months, according to Roberts, however, he will be reevaluated in the coming weeks.

Pettis most recently lost the UFC lightweight title to Rafael dos Anjos in March. The 28-year-old was expected to be cleared last Friday to begin sparring again after suffering a broken orbital bone in the fight. He has only fought twice since Aug. 2013 due to a knee injury and his role on “The Ultimate Fighter” season 20.

MMA Fighting – All Posts

Rafael dos Anjos undergoes successful nose surgery, plans return in late fall

UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos underwent surgery on Thursday, and everything went fine.

dos Anjos, who defeated Anthony Pettis at UFC 185 to become the first Brazilian to win the UFC 155-pound title, went under the knife to fix a nose injury that hindered his breathing before the biggest fight of his MMA career.

“The surgery was good. A lot better than I expected,” dos Anjos told MMAFighting.com on Friday. “Even with the gauze in the nose I can breathe way better than before.”

dos Anjos also suffered a knee injury prior to his title bout with Pettis, a partially torn MCL in his right knee, but he will avoid surgery.

“The nose recovery will be fast, but I went to the doctor on Wednesday to check my knee and he said I will be ready to return to strong training in two months,” he said. “But I’m swimming and bicycling so I won’t stop training.”

The lightweight champion is expected to face the winner of Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Donald Cerrone for his first title defense, but doesn’t see it happening before October.

“If everything goes right, late October or early November is a good date for me to return,” dos Anjos said. “It would give me a good time to prepare and don’t risk getting injured again.”

MMA Fighting – All Posts

Junior dos Santos undergoes successful knee and nose surgeries

Junior dos Santos fought tough battles in his past UFC fights, and underwent two surgeries on Thursday.

The former UFC heavyweight champion, who defeated Stipe Miocic via unanimous decision in December, needed knee and nose surgeries after the 25-minute war.

“I would like to let you know that I just had a knee and nose surgery and that went very well,” dos Santos posted on his Instagram. “There are some people that a simple thank you doesn’t seem to be enough to show them how thankful you are for their help. But I still want to give a special thank to doctor Moisés Cohen and his crew who one more time are taking care of me and doctor Sergio Miranda and his crew who did my nose surgery and his daughter Maria Vitoria. Thank you!”

A source close to “Cigano” told MMAFighting.com that doctors have yet to give him a timetable for his return to training. The former champion suffered a lateral collateral ligament injury in his right knee and underwent surgery for deviated septum, the source said.

Dos Santos (17-3) fought only once in 2014, bouncing back to the win column after suffering a fifth-round TKO loss to UFC champion Cain Velasquez in his previous bout. His UFC record now stands at 11-2, with both of those losses coming in title fights against Velasquez.

MMA Fighting – All Posts