Tag Archive for open

Money Talks: Demetrious Johnson Open to Fight Against Winner of Dillashaw-Garbrandt at UFC 227

Ultimate Fighting Championship flyweight ace Demetrious Johnson wants the winner of Saturday night’s bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Cody Garbrandt, but only if the money is right.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Faber Still Being Drug Tested By USADA, Open To UFC Return

Retirement? What retirement?

When a mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter officially retires from cage fighting, it often means “I need a vacation but I’ll be back when I A) run out of money or B) run out of things to do.” Former World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) featherweight champion Urijah Faber, however, may be the exception to that rule.

“The California Kid” is not hard up for cash, nor does he need a hobby, thanks to his role at Team Alpha Male (TAM) in Sacramento, Calif. He just loves the thrill of competition and stays in fighting shape regardless of what’s on the horizon.

Which is why he told Submission Radio it only takes one phone call.

“I still get tested from USADA just because I’ve never taken drugs in my life so I don’t really care about that. It’s well worth it. The difference is, if there was a big opportunity and someone wanted you to fight and it sounded like a good idea, I wouldn’t want to wait four months to get cleared when I’m not doing drugs anyway. So I’ll take one for the team on a 6 a.m. wake-up call. I’ve got it down pat anyways. I pretty much sleep through the whole thing aside from when I’m giving the urine sample.”

This guy should try that.

Faber (34-10) turns 39 in May and hasn’t competed since his unanimous decision victory over Brad Pickett at UFC on FOX 22. While the bantamweight title managed to elude him, “The California Kid” is widely-considered the founding father of lighter weight classes and a big reason UFC was willing to dip below 155 pounds back in 2010.

Not sure what opportunities are out there for the aging Californian, especially with this rival already moving on to bigger and better things, but maybe Vitor Belfort was onto something when he called for a “Legends League.”

Or not.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Scott Coker: Bellator to ‘Keep That Door Open’ for Future Tournaments in Other Divisions

Before Scott Coker took over the helm, Bellator MMA was best known for holding “The Toughest Tournament in Sports.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Kevin Lee ‘changing up whole style’ for 2018, open to ‘easy money fight’ with Justin Gaethje

Kevin Lee saw his five-fight win streak come to an end when he was submitted by Tony Ferguson back at UFC 216 for the interim lightweight title.

In hopes of regaining some ground in the talented 155-pound division, “Motown Phenom” is changing up a few things for 2018. Not only is Lee taking some time off to refine his skills inside of the cage, but he’s mixing things up on the management side, too.

“I’m taking some time, I’m changing up my whole style,” Lee said during a recent appearance on MMA on SiriusXM.I’m changing up my team around me. You know, there have been a lot of things happening, especially at the end of this last year, unfortunately, that I’ve had to make changes (for). But it’s a new me, it’s a new start, when I come back the folks are going to see a new me.”

When Lee is ready and willing to step back inside of the Octagon he may find himself in a lightweight clash with fan favorite Justin Gaethje, who is coming off a third-round knockout loss to former champion Eddie Alvarez back at UFC 218. Gaethje recently took aim at “Motown Phenom” when he said he’d love to beat up a “loudmouth.”

“I mean, absolutely,” Lee said when asked if he’d be interested in fighting Gaethje. “I think the best thing about 155 is that there are so many options. The division is right open now. I don’t know, we’ll see.”

That said, Lee insists that “Highlight” needs even more time off than himself to heal from the beating he sustained opposite Alvarez, as well as Gaethje’s menacing UFC debut against Michael Johnson back in July.

“If it’s going to be against Justin, I like easy money,” Lee said.

“Justin likes to take a lot of damage. I like to give a lot of damage – it seems like a good match to me.

“I’m trying to look out for Justin’s health, too. He needs some time, too. The man has taken a lot of bad beatings over the last couple of months. I don’t think he wants another one right here, right now.

“If he does then so be it, but for now I’m just taking my time. I’m still young in the game. I got a long time to go. I want to make some necessary changes to my camp. I’ve just changed management, too. There are going to be a lot of changes coming and I think people are going to be excited about it.”

Whether or not Lee draws Gaethje his next time out (that seems like one of the more plausible matchups), fight fans better get used to “Motown Phenom” competing atop the UFC’s 155-pound division. Every time he has lost inside of the Octagon Lee has seemingly come back stronger, so there’s no telling how far the Grand Rapids native can take it in 2018.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

VIDEO: UFC 217 Open Workouts

Man, it seems like it was a just a year ago that the UFC first came to New York City, and turned Madison Square Garden into a Conor McGregor-inspired madhouse of chanting Irish fans and drunken revelry. Oh wait, it was a year ago. New York only legalized MMA a little more than a year […]

The post VIDEO: UFC 217 Open Workouts appeared first on Caged Insider.

Caged Insider

Video: Colby Covington labels Sao Paulo a dump, gets booed at UFC Fight Night 119 open workouts

Why are fight fans booing Colby Covington?

Probably because the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight contender told the mixed martial arts (MMA) universe that Sao Paulo, Brazil — home of his UFC Fight Night 119 co-main event against Demian Maia — was a “dump.”

Sound familiar?

They get to work this Saturday (Oct. 28, 2017) on FOX Sports 1.

Covington (12-1) rebounded from a submission loss to Warlley Alves in late 2015 to capture four in a row, including last June’s unanimous decision win over Dong Hyun Kim at UFC Fight Night 111 in Singapore.

Maia (25-7) worked his way up to a welterweight title shot by winning seven straight; however, it was all in vain as Tyron Woodley was able to repel the Brazilian jiu-jitsu wizard in a long and boring title defense at UFC 214 last July.

To see who else is fighting at UFC Fight Night 119 click here.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

‘Bigfoot’ Silva camp open to Rico Verhoeven rematch in MMA after TKO loss at GLORY 46

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Heavyweight title contender Antonio Silva didn’t fare too well in his first-ever professional kickboxing match, losing to current GLORY Kickboxing champion Rico Verhoeven in the second round yesterday (Sat., Oct. 14, 2017) at GLORY 46 from inside the Guangzhou Gymnasium in Guangzhou, China.

Of course, it was an outcome many expected — “Bigfoot” included — as Rico is one of the best standup specialists in the game today.

Now that Silva took a leap to step into the kickboxing world, his camp wants Rico to do the same, as Silva’s manager Alex Davis tells MMA Fighting he’d love to see Rico grant Silva a rematch under mixed martial arts (MMA) rules.

“So Antonio went out there and did his first kickboxing fight against the current Glory champ and legend Rico Verhoeven. And not even himself expected to win, but he fought like a lion! Nothing to be ashamed of! And nor was it the manslaughter everyone predicted. So now, Antonio thinks that it is Verhoeven’s turn to fight in MMA, and since he took the first challenge, now respectfully invites Rico to do the same in MMA. Bigfoot would be more then happy to welcome him!”

Rico does have some MMA experience, winning his lone fight via knockout in the very first round back in 2015, so it won’t be anything new for the towering striker. That said, Silva has lost his last five in a row and eight of nine overall.

While the fight isn’t exactly out of the realm of possibility, they would still have to find an MMA organization that is willing to sanction the fight.

Anyone think “Bigfoot” would do better against Rico in his own sport?

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Video: Recap of Conor McGregor’s entertaining open workout for Floyd Mayweather fight

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight champion Conor McGregor recently held an open workout to promote his upcoming boxing match against Floyd Mayweather on Aug. 26, 2017 inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

After showing off his best moves, “Notorious” held court with a bevy of media members on hand to see the fiery Irishman show off his best moves ahead of the biggest — and most profitable — fight of his career.

UFC’s Megan Olivi was on hand to catch all of the punches and all of the soundbites coming from McGregor, so click play in the embedded video above to see a full recap of everything that went down.

Rubber arms and all.

The boxing match is expected to break many records — according to Dana White — and despite reports of lousy tickets sales, the men behind the extravaganza are more than confident that everything is peachy when it comes to money.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Anthony Johnson left UFC to open cannabis facility (for medical uses)

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight contender, Anthony Johnson, walked away from mixed martial arts (MMA) earlier this year after suffering his second submission loss to division kingpin Daniel Cormier.

“Rumble” claims he was never that into combat sports, and skipped town to preserve his health and pursue other endeavors. Early reports had Johnson working with the NFL, but it appears he’s more interested in greener pastures.

FOX Sports has the quote:

“My friend Paul, he’s in cannabis, we’re opening up a facility. It’s for medical uses,” Johnson revealed on “Heated Conversations” with retired WWE superstar Booker T. “We’re getting in that way. We’ve got some good things going on. It’s already big. We’re just waiting on that law to pass and whenever it passes, we’re golden. We’re playing our cards right. We’re playing by the books so that way there is no issues. We’re good to go.”

The customers are probably lining up as we speak.

Johnson finished his combat sports career with a 22-6 record and unfortunately, was never able to throw hands with Jon Jones, despite a pairing at UFC 187 that ultimately went to Cormier (because of this).

At age 33, there is still a solid chance Johnson will get the itch to return, especially if Cormier retires (or succumbs to “Bones” for the second time) and the division begins to open up.

Time will tell.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Jason Knight wants Doo Ho Choi fight, but open to showing he can ‘whoop’ Artem Lobov

DALLAS – Jason Knight speaks to the media at UFC 211 about his technical knockout win over Chas Skelly, wanting to fight Doo Ho Choi but willing to settle for Artem Lobov, and much more.

MMA Fighting – All Posts