Tag Archive for Made

Cormier: Miocic Fight Wasn’t Hard And We Made No Money

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion, Daniel Cormier, got some blowback from the mixed martial arts (MMA) community when it was announced that “DC” would be defending his newly-won title against fan favorite, Derrick Lewis, and not former division kingpin, Stipe Miocic.

Heck, even “Black Beast” was in favor of booking the ex-champ.

But Cormier insists there is more to the story than simply being afraid of Miocic, who previously set the promotion’s record for title defenses prior to getting dismantled by the Olympian in their UFC 226 headliner back in July.

“I’m not trying to say I’m afraid of Stipe. I swear I’m not afraid of Stipe Miocic. Why would I be?” Cormier told MMAWeekly. “It just did not make sense right now. I don’t mind fighting him again. It’s not like it was the hardest fight.”

After recapturing the 205-pound crown at UFC 220 earlier this year, Cormier (21-1, 1 NC) returned to the heavyweight division for the first time in nearly five years to capture the crown that no longer belongs to teammate Cain Velasquez, melting Miocic by way of first-round fists.

While the victory was sweet — and the catalyst to a showdown that may be even sweeter — the event failed to move the needle and Cormier, as well as Miocic, were unable to capitalize on pay-per-view points after the final tally.

Perhaps this is to blame?

“I do appreciate that he’s being vocal because shit man, maybe if he had done that in the beginning, maybe we would have made some money,” Cormier said. “The pay-per-view didn’t do that well because we did not make money. Obviously, issues sell. Maybe he’s trying to stir the pot a little bit to get some interest in our fight.”

Just business, bro.

Cormier will tangle with Lewis in the UFC 230 main event on Sat., Nov. 3, 2018 inside Madison Square Garden in New York City, with the winner moving on to fight Brock Lesnar in early 2019, presumably with the heavyweight strap on the line.

Sorry, Stipe.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Midnight Mania! Mayweather: Conor Was ‘Easiest 9 Figures I Ever Made’

Bringing you the weird and wild from the world of MMA each and every weeknight

Welcome to Midnight Mania!

I guess Floyd misses the limelight.

With McGregor pointedly turning down his offer to allow the Irishman to train in his gym for the upcoming Khabib Nurmagomedov fight at UFC 229 (why?), Mayweather has turned to social media to roast McGregor one more time. He posted a photo of himself landing a punishing blow on the Irishman with the caption

“Easiest 9 figures I ever made! All work is what #mayweatherpromotions #TMT #TBE”

Easiest 9 figures I ever made! All work is what? #mayweatherpromotions #TMT #TBE

A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on

All this latest drama has done is remind me how thankful I am McGregor is preparing for a legitimate high-level mixed martial arts contest and not another crossover carnival boxing event. UFC 229 goes down October 6 in Las Vegas.

Speaking of which, this Khabib vs. McGregor promo might just give you chills.

Roasting Mayweather is all too easy.

McGregor himself can’t help reminding us all how easy it would have been to beat Floyd under MMA rules

1 year ago what a trip. Outside trip.

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on


Insomnia

Sparring day at Alliance MMA with Dominick Cruz looks intense

It’s a shame there isn’t more footage of Sugar Ray Robinson, the man may have been the greatest ever.

Curtis Blaydes posted this over the weekend and for some reason has been getting largely negative replies. I don’t really understand why.

Now I need to try these. Thanks, John Wayne Parr.

Working on explosive power. Give these a try at the gym today and see how you go.

A post shared by John Wayne Parr (@johnwayneparr) on

Mike Perry has been getting a lot of crap, not for his continuous use of the N-word, but for his footwork and technique on the pads here.

I never knew Mirko Cro Cop said this about Chael Sonnen.

This might be wild speculation, but I would be interested to know where he heard it. It wouldn’t be too surprising to learn Dana and Company pulled some strings behind the scenes, because the NLRB did approve the case, then suddenly reversed their decision and sent Leslie Smith’s case to DC for review.

Yves Edwards may have retired, but he’s still got it.

It’s all about angles #thugjitsu @joe_schilling @bombatuf

A post shared by Yves Edwards (@thugjitsumaster) on

Remember this insanity?

Speaking of welterweights, what are the odds Darren Till gets to use his ground-and-pound against Tyron Woodley?

Combat sports this weekend:

This is just adding insult to injury

Justin Gaethje and Trevor Wittman are a remarkable coach-fighter duo, and this was a perfect moment.


Random Land

This made me angry at what the internet has made us.


Help my dog walk again


Chic Jae Portrait Photography

Andrew Pearson and Nala

My dog (more accurately my girl’s dog, but she’s mine too) threw her hip out Saturday. This is pretty serious for her; without surgery very soon, she won’t ever be able to walk again, and with an artery exposed the vet told us it’s a ticking death sentence. She’s ten, and up to that has been very active and playful. I set up a GoFundMe. If you can donate anything, I would appreciate it.


Chic Jae Portait Photography

One of her favorite pastimes

Stay woke, Maniacs! Follow me on Twitter and Facebook @Vorpality

MMAmania.com – All Posts

McGregor’s Bus Attack Made Him Miss Can-Throwing Lawsuit Deposition

The lawsuits are piling up for the former UFC champ, with suits from his 2016 can throwing incident still ongoing.

Conor McGregor’s legal problems are starting to pile up.

Not content to be the Champ Champ, McGregor is also en route to dealing with multiple lawsuits at the same time. According to The Blast, William Pegg is suing McGregor for at least $ 95,000 after being hit ‘in the back near his left shoulder’ by a can of Monster Energy Drink. McGregor threw said can back in August of 2016 during a now-infamous press conference in Las Vegas leading up to his rematch with Nate Diaz.

Unfortunately for Pegg, McGregor missed his scheduled deposition because he was in jail over his UFC 223 bus attack. The deposition was set for April 6th. McGregor threw a metal dolly through the bus window on April 5th. Being in jail may not be a useful excuse for McGregor given the deposition was set to take place in Las Vegas, not New York where the latest incident took place.

Via The Blast:

In his emergency motion to compel, Pegg says the fighter has delayed the depo since September 2017. He explains the deadline to have it done is in October but McGregor refuses to give him available dates. Pegg says McGregor’s deposition was scheduled for April 6, 2018, but “McGregor did not appear for his deposition. Instead, on the night of April 5, 2018, he was throwing metal barriers and other objects at the UFC 223, at which he was not scheduled to appear.”

He accuses the fighter of delaying the depo for months and is demanding the judge order the fighter to sit and be grilled about the case.

Pegg is demanding $ 5000 for medical costs and six figures in damages. He’s also asking McGregor to turn over financial information to help the courts assess how much McGregor should be fined to “deter” him from doing more stupid stuff like this in the future.

If a single can of Monster Energy Drink is worth six figures, we can only imagine how much McGregor will be on the hook for Michael Chiesa’s lost title shot.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Records, Like Cowboy’s Opponents, Were Made To Be Broken

If 170-pound “Cowboy” Donald Cerrone wins his mixed martial arts (MMA) fight on Saturday morning (June 23, 2018) in Singapore, he’ll be the winningest fighter in the history of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

That would require the “pissed off” Jackson-Wink staple to overcome the welterweight fists of streaking British contender Leon Edwards, who looks to keep Cerrone at win No. 20, where he remains tied with former middleweight champions Michael Bisping and Anderson Silva.

Pretty good company as far as I’m concerned.

Of those 20 wins, 14 have come by way of knockout or submission (like this one), which leaves him tied with Silva and former two-division champion Vitor Belfort. With that in mind, finishing “Rocky” this weekend will put Cerrone in a class by himself.

That probably won’t come as a surprise when you consider that Edwards will be his 28th opponent since crossing over from World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) in early 2011 and Cerrone (33-10, 1 NC) went on to average four fights per year from 2013-16.

He pulled off five fights in 2011 for a record of 4-1.

Most of his wins came in the lightweight division and it looked as if “Cowboy” was going to replicate that success when he eventually jumped up to the 170-pound weight class, thanks to four straight victories with four violent finishes. But then came a crushing loss to Jorge Masvidal at UFC on FOX 23, part of a dreadful three-fight losing streak.

The good news for Cerrone is that he was able to get back into the win column last February by turning away welterweight fan favorite Yancy Medeiros at UFC Fight Night 126, the fifth time he’s headlined a UFC fight card.

It’s unlikely we’ll ever see Cerrone, 35, hold a division title. As dynamic as he is inside the Octagon, his commitment to combat sports has never really been his No. 1 priority, courtesy of an extreme lifestyle that has the self-described adrenaline junkie cheating death at every turn (and cheating on his diet).

But at least he was always good for a quote.

“If I was to fight Conor McGregor and he gets on public TV and talks shit, that wouldn’t fly with me,” Cerrone told Chael Sonnen. “Hopefully he talks shit and I slap the shit out of him, pump the pay-per-views up and I make four million dollars.”

Remember when four million dollars sounded like a big deal? A lot has changed between then and now, but one thing that remains the same is the fan-friendly fighting style of “Cowboy” Cerrone, and I think I speak for a lot of fans when I say “thank god.”

To see who else is fighting at UFC Singapore click here.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Fired up Alexander Gustafsson Has Made Some Interesting Bout Proposals…

(This post originally appeared on MMAFrenzy.)

Alexander Gustafsson is still looking for his next fight, and the perennial, light-heavyweight contender has made some pretty interesting proposals on that front…

Gustafsson hasn’t fought now since May, 2017, when he took out Glover Teixeira at UFC Fight Night 109. “The Mauler” believed the win, and his #1 ranking would deliver him a rematch with the champ, Daniel Cormier. But, then the UFC dropped jaws throughout the sport by announcing Cormier will fight heavyweight champ, Stipe Miocic, on July 7th. That didn’t sit too well with the Swedish star.

Well, more recently Gustafsson has offered to welcome Luke Rockhold to the light-heavyweight division. But, following Yoel Romero’s failure to make weight for UFC 225, Dana White’s comments that the middleweight should move to 205, and Cormier’s  call for Gustafsson to fight Romero, “The Mauler” shared out this:

Now, of course, everyone and their dog would like to see Gustafsson fight Romero. But, so far, it doesn’t sound like the Cuban wrestler plans to leave middleweight behind. 

Gustafsson’s offer to step in for either Cormier or Miocic at UFC 226 is also, pretty, pretty interesting. If Cormier went down with an injury, one would think the UFC would tap another heavyweight contender to fight Miocic. But, if the heavyweight champ was sidelined, would the UFC have Gustafsson fight Cormier again? In a rematch at heavyweight?

Oezdemir is scheduled to fight “Shogun” on July 22th, so, if either one of those guys goes down, then Gustafsson would be an obvious option. All this aside, hopefully we see Gustafsson back in the cage, sooner than later.

The post Fired up Alexander Gustafsson Has Made Some Interesting Bout Proposals… appeared first on Caged Insider.

Caged Insider

Fired up Alexander Gustafsson Has Made Some Interesting Bout Proposals…

(This post originally appeared on MMAFrenzy.)

Alexander Gustafsson is still looking for his next fight, and the perennial, light-heavyweight contender has made some pretty interesting proposals on that front…

Gustafsson hasn’t fought now since May, 2017, when he took out Glover Teixeira at UFC Fight Night 109. “The Mauler” believed the win, and his #1 ranking would deliver him a rematch with the champ, Daniel Cormier. But, then the UFC dropped jaws throughout the sport by announcing Cormier will fight heavyweight champ, Stipe Miocic, on July 7th. That didn’t sit too well with the Swedish star.

Well, more recently Gustafsson has offered to welcome Luke Rockhold to the light-heavyweight division. But, following Yoel Romero’s failure to make weight for UFC 225, Dana White’s comments that the middleweight should move to 205, and Cormier’s  call for Gustafsson to fight Romero, “The Mauler” shared out this:

Now, of course, everyone and their dog would like to see Gustafsson fight Romero. But, so far, it doesn’t sound like the Cuban wrestler plans to leave middleweight behind. 

Gustafsson’s offer to step in for either Cormier or Miocic at UFC 226 is also, pretty, pretty interesting. If Cormier went down with an injury, one would think the UFC would tap another heavyweight contender to fight Miocic. But, if the heavyweight champ was sidelined, would the UFC have Gustafsson fight Cormier again? In a rematch at heavyweight?

Oezdemir is scheduled to fight “Shogun” on July 22th, so, if either one of those guys goes down, then Gustafsson would be an obvious option. All this aside, hopefully we see Gustafsson back in the cage, sooner than later.

The post Fired up Alexander Gustafsson Has Made Some Interesting Bout Proposals… appeared first on Caged Insider.

Caged Insider

Fired up Alexander Gustafsson Has Made Some Interesting Bout Proposals…

(This post originally appeared on MMAFrenzy.)

Alexander Gustafsson is still looking for his next fight, and the perennial, light-heavyweight contender has made some pretty interesting proposals on that front…

Gustafsson hasn’t fought now since May, 2017, when he took out Glover Teixeira at UFC Fight Night 109. “The Mauler” believed the win, and his #1 ranking would deliver him a rematch with the champ, Daniel Cormier. But, then the UFC dropped jaws throughout the sport by announcing Cormier will fight heavyweight champ, Stipe Miocic, on July 7th. That didn’t sit too well with the Swedish star.

Well, more recently Gustafsson has offered to welcome Luke Rockhold to the light-heavyweight division. But, following Yoel Romero’s failure to make weight for UFC 225, Dana White’s comments that the middleweight should move to 205, and Cormier’s  call for Gustafsson to fight Romero, “The Mauler” shared out this:

Now, of course, everyone and their dog would like to see Gustafsson fight Romero. But, so far, it doesn’t sound like the Cuban wrestler plans to leave middleweight behind. 

Gustafsson’s offer to step in for either Cormier or Miocic at UFC 226 is also, pretty, pretty interesting. If Cormier went down with an injury, one would think the UFC would tap another heavyweight contender to fight Miocic. But, if the heavyweight champ was sidelined, would the UFC have Gustafsson fight Cormier again? In a rematch at heavyweight?

Oezdemir is scheduled to fight “Shogun” on July 22th, so, if either one of those guys goes down, then Gustafsson would be an obvious option. All this aside, hopefully we see Gustafsson back in the cage, sooner than later.

The post Fired up Alexander Gustafsson Has Made Some Interesting Bout Proposals… appeared first on Caged Insider.

Caged Insider

Amanda Nunes: It’s ‘Sad’ That Coaches Made Pennington Continue in Fifth Round at UFC 224

Amanda Nunes gradually inflicted more and more damage on Raquel Pennington as their UFC 224 headlining bout progressed, so much so that Pennington didn’t want to continue after the fourth round.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Amanda Nunes: It’s ‘Sad’ That Coaches Made Pennington Continue in Fifth Round at UFC 224

Amanda Nunes gradually inflicted more and more damage on Raquel Pennington as their UFC 224 headlining bout progressed, so much so that Pennington didn’t want to continue after the fourth round.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Amanda Nunes: It’s ‘Sad’ That Coaches Made Pennington Continue in Fifth Round at UFC 224

Amanda Nunes gradually inflicted more and more damage on Raquel Pennington as their UFC 224 headlining bout progressed, so much so that Pennington didn’t want to continue after the fourth round.
Recent News on Sherdog.com