Tag Archive for Fighter

UFC Hires Back-Up Fighter Who Responds By Missing Weight

The whole point of employing a back-up fighter is to have a Plan B in case someone in the main event misses weight, which happened to be a real concern when you consider the “brutal” weight cuts typically done by the “heavy” Max Holloway.

As luck would have it, “Blessed” made the championship mark for his Brian Ortega title fight, which takes place this Saturday night (Dec. 8, 2018) inside Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Replacement fighter Renato Moicano, however, did not.

Typically a stand-by fighter will receive his or her “show” purse, assuming they come in and make weight, as assigned. Since the Brazilian was unable to crack 146 pounds for the UFC 231 headliner — and because title fights don’t allow the usual one-pound allowance — it’s up to the promotion if they want to throw him a bone for at least giving it a try.

No matter.

Holloway vs. Ortega is official, assuming nothing ridiculous happens between now and tomorrow night in Toronto, because we want to save those unexpected, heart-stopping moments for the actual fight.

Too much to ask these days?

MMAmania.com will deliver LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the entire UFC 231 fight card on fight night (click here), starting with the Fight Pass “Prelims” matches online, which are scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. ET, then the remaining undercard balance on FOX Sports 1 at 8 p.m. ET, before the PPV main card start time at 10 p.m. ET.

For much more on UFC 231 click here.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

White Rips ‘Cokehead Junkie’ Over Fighter Pay

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President, Dana White, already knew that a third fight between Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz would be a bona fide disaster, which is why he refused to entertain the idea after it first came to light back in early 2017.

Former boxer-turned-mixed martial arts (MMA) promoter, Oscar de la Hoya, did not share the same outlook on the future of “The Iceman.” In fact, when starting Golden Boy MMA, De La Hoya insisted it would correct the mistakes UFC made with its fighters.

Starting with a little more money and a lot more respect.

On the surface, it doesn’t appear he accomplished either goal. Several combatants were paid outrageously low purses for their participation in last weekend’s event in California, while others were so far down the totem pole, De La Hoya couldn’t even name them.

“Oscar fucking De La Hoya says, ‘Oh, come over to Golden Boy where we respect the fighters and it makes me sick what these fighters were paid’ and all this shit,” White told the UFC Unfiltered podcast (via MMA Fighting). “Out of 14 fights on the card, five bouts were amateur fights. Which means he didn’t pay them jack shit, right? What the fuck are you talking about you cokehead junkie? Some of the guys on the card made $ 1,000 and $ 1,000. And he respects the fighters so much, he couldn’t remember their fucking names at the press conference.”

UFC pay has been a touchy subject for White and Co. over the last few years, to the point where fighters brought the matter before the courts. In addition, the promotion has come under fire for the way it disrespects its champions.

That sent a handful of combatants to the competition. Not just for Scott Coker and Bellator MMA (sample here and here), but also to ONE Championship in Singapore, which has emerged as a new player in the fight game (leading to this).

No telling if Golden Boy MMA will make its return to cage fighting now that Liddell has been knocked out (watch the replay here), but if and when it does, rest assured White will have something to say about it.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Kevin Aguilar Replaces Arnold Allen, Meets Rick Glenn at ‘The Ultimate Fighter 28’ Finale

A bout originally scheduled for Gilbert Melendez vs. Arnold Allen has gradually transformed into Kevin Aguilar vs. Rick Glenn.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Kevin Aguilar Replaces Arnold Allen, Meets Rick Glenn at ‘The Ultimate Fighter 28’ Finale

A bout originally scheduled for Gilbert Melendez vs. Arnold Allen has gradually transformed into Kevin Aguilar vs. Rick Glenn.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Every Fighter Needs To Go Through A Zombie Vs Yair-Type War

This past weekend (Sat., Nov. 10, 2018) at UFC Fight Night 139 in Denver, Colorado, Chan Sung Jung and Yair Rodriguez put on a memorable five-round performance for the ages culminating in a spectacular last-second knockout win for “Pantera.”

Relive it again here.

When it was all said and done, both men had to take post-fight trips to the local hospital to tend to their battle wounds (see the picture here).

Still, both Jung and Rodriguez will take a lot from the epic scrap, as Yair’s coach — Israel Martinez — says every fighters needs to go through one of those battles at least once in his or her career.

“We believe every fighter needs one of those. It’s one of those things you tell a young athlete, you tell a young fighter, even the older guys: You need to get your ass kicked to kinda be woken up a little bit, and you need to go through some dirty fights, some trenches,” said Martinez on a recent edition of The MMA Hour (via MMA Fighting).

And once is enough, says Martinez, as engaging in such fights on a regular basis can’t be good for the mind, body or soul.

“But you don’t need to do that every day. You don’t need to get punched in the head every day. And that’s one of those fights that we’re gonna have in our bag and we’re always going to be able to pull out all the things we’re learned from that, but there’s no way we want that type of fight again,” he added.

“Those things are deadly. Yair is beat up, and that’s going to be stuck in his head, good and bad, for the rest of his life. So we want to make sure that we take the positives over the negatives and move forward. But yeah, definitely, you know that — you don’t want to be getting hit in the head, you don’t want to get beat up every day, and those long five-round fights are good for the fans, but they’re not good for us. We want to try to [win] early.”

Battles such as the “Mile High City” classic have become the norm for “The Korean Zombie, for better or worse, and he has the countless post-fight bonuses and scars to prove it. As for Rodriguez, now that he has a win under his belt after a brief separation from the promotion, he could be in line to face another man who knows no other way to fight than to move forward.

All he has to do is say his name.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Alexander Gustafsson: Jon Jones is the Top Pound-For-Pound Fighter In The World

Back at UFC 165, fans witnessed arguably the best-ever Ultimate Fighting Championship light heavyweight title fight when Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson put on an epic back-and-fourth five round war with Jones claiming victory by unanimous decision and a record-breaking sixth consecutive title defense.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Former ‘Ultimate Fighter 20’ Hopeful Sharice Davids Elected to Congress

Former mixed martial arts fighter Sharice Davids scored a major political victory in her home state, as she was elected in Kansas’ 3rd Congressional District on Tuesday night.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

UFC Fighter Gives Update On His Power Drill Scrotum Injury

The Ultimate Fighter 27 alum Bryce Mitchell was undoubtedly looking to make headlines following his first UFC win in July of 2018, but not like this. The 24 year old featherweight is best known these days for being ‘the UFC fighter that got his nutsack ripped off by a power drill.’ Yes, that’s right. And no, this isn’t a clickbait over-exaggeration. Here’s what happened in Mitchell’s own words:

Fortunately, we can now relay the good news that Bryce’s private parts have been successfully re-attached with no lasting damage. Here’s MMA Fighting’s update with Bryce, who seems to find all this just as funny as everyone else, even if the incident did almost kill him.

“It was like my stomach dropped and I thought that my dick had been ripped off and my balls was gone and my stomach just dropped like it’s never dropped before. Felt like a five-gallon tank was sitting in my stomach and I just couldn’t believe it. I thought, ‘Well, shit I’m dead. I’m gonna sit here and bleed out.’ I looked down and everything was still good, so I got lucky.”

“Basically what happened is I was pre-drilling some wood, trying to put some bolts through it, and I had one of those drill bits that eats through wood on it,” said Mitchell. “It’s titanium-plated, eats right through wood. Well, I stuffed that in my pants because I was holding the board and I moved and it pulled the trigger, wrapped up my nuts around that drill bit and just ripped ‘em to f*ckin’ shreds, man. Just ripped ‘em to shreds. But luckily, my testicles did not get ripped off. That was a big thing. My testicles actually wrapped up there for a minute, when it first happened I thought I lost a testicle — it would have damn near killed me, as far as I was away from the hospital, as long as the treatment took, the amount of blood that I lost. I probably would have died if the testicle would have got ripped off.

“I get to sit back and rap about it now, but man, I really f*cked up. I really, really f*cked up, and you shouldn’t put a f*ckin’ drill in your pants, it’s just not smart.”

Mitchell credited his MMA training for helping him to stay calm during a situation that probably would have overwhelmed many others. Shockingly, the whole thing was sewn back up with just 13 stitches and the UFC featherweight has made a full recovery. He hopes to return to the Octagon sometime in January or February 2019.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Diaz Fires Off At Canelo: ‘I’m A Better Fighter, Bigger Draw’

Ready for another boxing superfight?

Even if you’re not, former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz sure sounds like he’d be up to the task. That’s according to Diaz himself, who recently took aim at Mexican boxer Canelo Alvarez.

The Stockton callout comes a few days removed from Canelo’s massive $ 365 million deal with DAZN, which will keep him on the streaming service for five years and 11 fights. His first bout under contract will come against WBA super middleweight champion Rocky Fielding this December. It will be Canelo’s first appearance at 168 pounds.

As a professional mixed martial artist who has trained alongside the likes of former boxing world champion Andre Ward, Diaz isn’t too impressed with Canelo.

“I’ve never even thought about that, but the guy is moving up to 168 and fighting some no names,” Diaz told TMZ (shown above). “Let’s be real Canelo moving up to my weight, he ain’t gonna win that fight. No way, come on man. You’re just basically one of them little guys I spar before I fight. I am a professional fighter, I’ve had over 37 fights.”

“Nothing personal. Motherf**ker don’t speak English so he ain’t knowing what I’m saying anyway.”

Diaz, 35, has been focused on a potential return to the Octagon, but the former welterweight standout seems more than willing to test his luck inside of the boxing ring and get his piece of pie.

“Y’all getting the money, if y’all gonna make all that money, making billions of dollars or millions of dollars now, I’m a better fighter, I’m a bigger draw,” he said.

Bigger draw than Canelo in boxing? Probably not. But Diaz is one of the most recognizable names in MMA today, despite having not competed since a no contest opposite Anderson Silva nearly three years ago.

While a Diaz vs. Canelo crossover fight is unlikely to actually take flight, it’s yet another option fight fans have been presented with in this crazy thing we call combat sports. After seeing Conor McGregor step inside of the boxing ring against Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year anything seems possible at this point.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Diaz Fires Off At Canelo: ‘I’m A Better Fighter, Bigger Draw’

Ready for another boxing superfight?

Even if you’re not, former UFC welterweight title challenger Nick Diaz sure sounds like he’d be up to the task. That’s according to Diaz himself, who recently took aim at Mexican boxer Canelo Alvarez.

The Stockton callout comes a few days removed from Canelo’s massive $ 365 million deal with DAZN, which will keep him on the streaming service for five years and 11 fights. His first bout under contract will come against WBA super middleweight champion Rocky Fielding this December. It will be Canelo’s first appearance at 168 pounds.

As a professional mixed martial artist who has trained alongside the likes of former boxing world champion Andre Ward, Diaz isn’t too impressed with Canelo.

“I’ve never even thought about that, but the guy is moving up to 168 and fighting some no names,” Diaz told TMZ (shown above). “Let’s be real Canelo moving up to my weight, he ain’t gonna win that fight. No way, come on man. You’re just basically one of them little guys I spar before I fight. I am a professional fighter, I’ve had over 37 fights.”

“Nothing personal. Motherf**ker don’t speak English so he ain’t knowing what I’m saying anyway.”

Diaz, 35, has been focused on a potential return to the Octagon, but the former welterweight standout seems more than willing to test his luck inside of the boxing ring and get his piece of pie.

“Y’all getting the money, if y’all gonna make all that money, making billions of dollars or millions of dollars now, I’m a better fighter, I’m a bigger draw,” he said.

Bigger draw than Canelo in boxing? Probably not. But Diaz is one of the most recognizable names in MMA today, despite having not competed since a no contest opposite Anderson Silva nearly three years ago.

While a Diaz vs. Canelo crossover fight is unlikely to actually take flight, it’s yet another option fight fans have been presented with in this crazy thing we call combat sports. After seeing Conor McGregor step inside of the boxing ring against Floyd Mayweather Jr. last year anything seems possible at this point.

MMAmania.com – All Posts