Tag Archive for Declines

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Max Holloway Declines ‘Best Ever’ Label Following Second Victory Over Jose Aldo

Sports entertainment star Ric Flair coined the phrase, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.”
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Nevada commission declines Alex Oliveira appeal of illegal knee result

Alex Oliveira will have to settle for just one victory over Tim Means.

Oliveira and Means fought for the first time at UFC 207 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. The bout ended when Means connected with multiple illegal knees to a grounded Oliveira’s head and Oliveira was unable to continue.

At the time, referee Dan Miragliotta ruled the bout a no-contest, deeming that Means threw the fight-ending illegal knees unintentionally. Oliveira’s team attempted to appeal that result in an effort to get it overturned to a no disqualification, arguing that the knees are intentional.

Earlier this month, the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) declined Oliveira’s request for appeal, MMA Fighting confirmed via a public records request following an article by MMAjunkie. NAC executive director Bob Bennett wrote in a letter to Oliveira’s manager Alex Davis that he did not “provide adequate grounds for a change of decision.”

Davis was requesting a hearing in the matter, because Means has publicly admitted to throwing the knees intentionally. He just didn’t know that those particular knees — with Oliveira in a grounded position with both knees on the mat — were illegal, he told MMAjunkie recently.

“Accidental?” Means said. “They’re playing with my intelligence. I threw the knee on purpose because I thought it was completely legal, so give the dude the DQ [win].”

Davis believed that Means’ admittance was enough to at least have a hearing on the result.

“The knee wasn’t accidental, it was intentional, and the rule says an intentional foul should result in a DQ to the one who committed the intentional foul,” Davis told MMA Fighting. “The athletic commission simply refuses to admit the guilt after saying it was accidental and ruling it a no contest, and denies to admit the truth when even Tim Means himself admits it.”

Bennett’s letter to Davis described a different interpretation: that Miragliotta ruled it a no contest, because Means didn’t attempt to throw illegal knees. He did not know the rule and thought the knees were perfectly legal.

“The determination of whether a foul is accidental or intentional falls to the referee who is the sole arbiter of a contest,” Bennett wrote.

Davis said that “Cowboy” could pursue the case with a judicial review of the commission’s findings, but it would not make sense financially. He is frustrated with the proceedings.

“For ‘Cowboy,’ the only option now would be appealing in the civil court, and the expenses he would have are bigger than the money at stake,” Davis said. “But we’re not doing this for the money, it’s for the principle. We, fighters and managers and coaches, have to respect the most strict rules, and we suffer the consequences when we don’t follow them, but the athletic commissions are not required the same. They do what they want and it stays like that.”

Oliveira (17-3-1, 2 NC) was able to get some closure inside the Octagon, at least. The Brazilian defeated Means by second-round submission earlier this month in a rematch in Fortaleza, Brazil. Oliveira, 29, is now unbeaten in his last four fights.

MMA Fighting – All Posts

Dan Hardy declines Mickey Gall’s callout – ‘I don’t want to beat up a kid that I enjoy watching’

After submitting Sage Northcutt at UFC on FOX 22 inside Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, Calif., (watch highlights here), Mickey Gall continued his tradition of immediately calling out his next opponent. This time around, Gall asked for a bout against former Welterweight title challenger, Dan Hardy, in a fight that would be contested at Lightweight. “The Outlaw” had a brief and comical response via social media, but during a recent stop on “The MMA Hour,” Hardy respectfully declined the call-out … while Gall was on the other line listening.

He explains:

“I almost spat my tea out, it was like four in morning and I wasn’t expecting it. I appreciate the call-out and I appreciate the respect that you’ve shown me, but I have never fought anybody with less than eight fights, not even in my first pro fight. We are at different phases in our careers. I’m not looking at knocking off a future contender that I’m possibly going to be commentating for in the future. At the same time, if I was going to fight, I want to fight a veteran. I want to fight someone that has had 20 or 30 fights and has matured in their game and is sure of their fighting style, not one that is still developing. I like to see the development of these young fighters and I don’t want to interfere with that in anyway. I’m 10 years older and we are at different phases in our careers.”

After getting shut down, Gall responded by saying that he respected his decision and still considers the British brawler a legend of the sport before hanging up the phone. Hardy proceeded to say that if he does return, he wants to face a long-time veteran who he can really get motivated for.

“It just doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t appeal to me and I don’t want to beat up a kid that I enjoy watching. There are a lot more older guys out there that have mature in their style and know their capabilities. There are a lot of fighters out there that I would be motivated to fight. And Mickey is a kid, I appreciate where he is in his career, four fights, and he is an exciting future prospect and I don’t want to play a part in the building of his career in any way.”

And that’s that, though Hardy did say he wouldn’t be opposed to a grappling match with the young up-and-comer down the road. Of course, Hardy’s still unsure that he will even return to the cage anytime soon, as he has one final test to go through in January to see if he is able to sustain the rigors of a training camp and a fight after he was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome back in 2013.

But, just a few months ago, “The Outlaw” teased an MMA comeback, declaring that if and when he does return, he’ll be doing it at 155 pounds. It’s a division filled with plenty of battle-tested veterans who can clearly fit “The Outlaw” criteria of a motivating challenge.

MMAmania.com – All Posts