Tag Archive for Aldo

Aldo: UFC 229 Brawl With McGregor Wasn’t Khabib’s Fault

Out of all the fighters who have faced Conor McGregor, Jose Aldo was undoubtedly the one most affected by his mental warfare.

Aldo had to listen to Conor’s endless chirping as he rose up in the featherweight ranks. He had to endure an entire world tour’s worth of insults before their first cancelled bout, and then another round of media leading up to their fateful meeting at UFC 194 in 2015. All that endless trash talk led him to rush forward recklessly and get KO’d just 13 seconds into their fight.

So if anyone ‘gets’ the kind of anger that led to Khabib Nurmagomedov jumping the fence at UFC 229 and eagle stomping his way through McGregor’s corner, it’s Jose Aldo. Aldo shared his feelings on the matter with ESPN’s Brett Okamoto at UFC 230, saying he hoped Khabib got away without any punishment at all over the incident.

”I understand the reaction of Khabib,” Aldo said through a translator. “No, it’s not his fault, we shouldn’t blame him for his actions because it’s the UFC letting McGregor do whatever he wants, in the past and here in New York. So it’s not Khabib’s fault. No time, no nothing for him.”

Unfortunately for Nurmagomedov, it’ll be the Nevada State Athletic Commission making the determination, and they’re liable to see things quite a bit differently than the honor-based Brazilian.

We’re now more than a month removed from the incident at UFC 229 that saw Khabib jump Dillon Danis and members of his entourage storm the cage to attack McGregor. A meeting is set for December 10th that will hopefully resolve everything. Dana White has suggested a six month suspension as reasonable, which seems hopeful but not out of the question in a world where athletic commissions make their money off big fights in their jurisdiction.

With Khabib’s manager already promising mind blowing news, maybe they all know something we don’t. Maybe Jose Aldo’s reasoning is shared at least in part by the NSAC, who have dealt first hand with McGregor’s antics in the past. At this point, it’s hard to find many fans unwilling to let bygones be bygones if it means getting “The Eagle” back in the cage sooner rather than later.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Jose Aldo Calls Out Conor McGregor for Rematch: ‘You Have Nowhere to Run’

Despite his loss at UFC 229, Conor McGregor is still in high demand as an opponent.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

Zabit Doesn’t Feel Pressure Ahead Of UFC 228, Eyes Aldo Or Mendes next

Streaking featherweight prospect Zabit Magomedsharipov is quickly becoming one of the most promising young contenders in UFC today.

The super-skilled Russian fighter has produced a 3-0 record since entering the promotion last year, while displaying outright dominance inside of the Octagon. While Magomedsharipov was expecting to fight featherweight contender Yair Rodriguez later this evening (Sat., Sept. 8, 2018) at UFC 228 live on pay-per-view (PPV) from inside American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, an injury forced “El Pantera” out of action and veteran Brandon Davis stepped in on short notice.

With the late change, “ZaBeast” now enters his UFC 228 main card clash with Davis as a ridiculous -1175 favorite. It’s a dangerous spot with limited upside for Magomedsharipov, but the 27-year-old remains confident across the board as he tries to cash in on his growing potential.

“It doesn’t pressure me at all,” Magomedsharipov told MMAjunkie ahead of UFC 228. “Actually that’s my goal, to be here, to get the title, the championship. It’s cool. It’s nothing that pressures me. That’s how it’s supposed to be.

“I’m this kind of person since I was a kid. I’m quiet, not emotional. I never expose my emotions that much. But all this attention and people recognizing me, that people start talking to me, it’s OK. I’m pleased with that. I’m OK with that. I’m cool.”

As far as Rodriguez goes, Magomedsharipov holds no hard feelings. He understands that it was a fight combat fans were drooling over, but also feels for his injured featherweight counterpart.

“Of course I was frustrated,” Magomedsharipov said. “It was sad to hear that he got injured. Many people were waiting for this fight. I was getting ready for this fight, I was calling for this fight, but it’s a part of the game. You cannot judge him. No one is protected from injuries. I can be injured tomorrow. He’s injured, and I only wish him the best and that he’s back as soon as possible, and maybe we can finish the history.”

A victory over Davis this weekend at UFC 228 will push Magomedsharipov’s promotional record to 4-0. That sort of success usually leads to a big step up in competition. While Zabit would be open to re-booking a bout with Rodriguez he also has his sights set on two of the biggest names in the 145-pound division.

“If everything goes fortunate Saturday night and I’ll do my best, if Yair is not coming back, I know that Chad Mendes is back,” Magomedsharipov said. “He’s one of the guys I wish to fight with, or Jose Aldo. I want to fight someone in the top three of the division.”

If Magomedsharipov is able to walk through Davis in fashion there’s no arguing that he deserves a top-flight featherweight contender. At that point, we’ll find out how far Zabit can climb the divisional ladder.

MMAmania.com will deliver LIVE round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the entire UFC 228 fight card, starting with the Fight Pass “Prelims” matches online, which are scheduled to begin at 6:15 p.m. ET, then the remaining undercard balance on FX at 8 p.m. ET, before the PPV main card start time at 10 p.m. ET.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

Pederneiras Calls For Aldo Vs. McGregor Rematch

With Jose Aldo back in the UFC win column after defeating Jeremy Stephens via TKO last month, head coach Andre Pederneiras is already brainstorming what’s next for the former featherweight champion.

While it’s going to take Aldo an additional victory or two to lock down another title fight — especially after losing to Max Holloway twice in the past 14 months — Pederneiras is already setting the bar high for the Brazilian’s final few fights.

If Pederneiras had it his way, UFC would book a rematch between Aldo and former UFC champion Conor McGregor. Remember, “Notorious” knocked Aldo out in 13 seconds nearly three years ago to claim the 145-pound crown.

“We can try to angle for a rematch, because I really did think it was unfair and I think most people thought it was unfair that there wasn’t a rematch,” Pederneiras told MMAjunkie. “But, as far as Conor goes, he isn’t to blame. He may have turned it down, but the UFC had the power to tell him to fight. And they didn’t.

“I think the first fight didn’t really represent what the fight could have been – unfortunately for all of those who wanted to see it. So I’d choose Conor. Even though I don’t have anything against him.”

With McGregor already scheduled to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov for the undisputed lightweight title at UFC 229 on Oct. 6 it would take Aldo a very long time to get his hands back on the Irishman. It’s unknown if UFC would even be remotely interested in such a rematch, but given Aldo’s undying popularity in Brazil maybe it’s something that will surface in the future.

Despite finishing Aldo in 13 seconds back at UFC 194, Pederneiras still respects McGregor as a martial artist. The Brazilian coach believes McGregor isn’t the person he portrays to be leading up to a fight, but understands it’s all a show to bring in the big bucks.

“I think, behind that ‘artist,’ he’s a good person, who doesn’t represent the things he says,” Pederneiras said. “He talks a bunch of crap to get attention and sell. Outside of that, no, he’ll respect you whenever you meet up with him.

“I think that was that ‘artist,’ the way I see it. He knows he’s going to have to fight (Khabib Nurmagomedov) at some point. Since he knows that, why not start creating some chaos and start promoting it?”

If Aldo wants to get another crack at McGregor he may have to journey up to 155 pounds to do so. Aldo doesn’t have a lot of time left to make it happen considering the veteran is planning on retiring after his current UFC contract expires, so he must work quickly to regain the dominance he once possessed.

MMAmania.com – All Posts

UFC on Fox 30 Bonuses: Poirier, Aldo, Makdessi, Pearson Receive $50K Checks

Dustin Poirier, Jose Aldo, John Makdessi and Ross Pearson all earned $ 50,000 bonus checks for their work at UFC on Fox 30.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

UFC on Fox 30 Bonuses: Poirier, Aldo, Makdessi, Pearson Receive $50K Checks

Dustin Poirier, Jose Aldo, John Makdessi and Ross Pearson all earned $ 50,000 bonus checks for their work at UFC on Fox 30.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

UFC on Fox 30 Bonuses: Poirier, Aldo, Makdessi, Pearson Receive $50K Checks

Dustin Poirier, Jose Aldo, John Makdessi and Ross Pearson all earned $ 50,000 bonus checks for their work at UFC on Fox 30.
Recent News on Sherdog.com

UFC on FOX 30: Could Jose Aldo go “Out as Champion”?

(This post originally appeared on MMAFrenzy.)

Jose Aldo has repeatedly said that he still wants to reclaim the UFC’s featherweight title. But at the same time, the legend says his career is winding down. Could the former champ go out on top like he hopes?

Although it wasn’t too long ago really, when Aldo was talking about walking away from MMA, more recently, the Brazilian star’s insisted he wants to reclaim the 145 crown. As he gets set to fight Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FOX 30 this Saturday, Aldo has repeated that desire. But, the 31 year-old has also said he doesn’t plan to extend his fighting career, after his current contract is done (quotes via MMA Fighting):

”No, I don’t think so,” Aldo said. “It doesn’t cross my mind to sign a new contract after.”

”I think it’s easier because you know it’s coming near the end, so you have to give your all because you don’t want to go out on a loss, you want to go out on top…

”When you’re starting there’s that euphoria, but I remain the same. I dream of being champion and dream going out as champion. That’s my biggest motivation. … I take much pride in winning, I don’t accept losses, so I’m always going after that. The day I lose this fire, I think it’s time for us to stop.”

So, when you consider Aldo has talked about retiring before, or transitioning into pro-boxing, the fact he’s not interested in a new deal shouldn’t be a surprise. Further, Aldo talked about the fact that he wants to retire healthy, and while he is only 31, he’s been fighting for nearly 15 years.

But, could Aldo walk away from the game as the reigning UFC champ?  That’s going to be tough.

After Aldo faces Stephens this weekend he’ll have three bouts left on his current deal. If Aldo scores an emphatic victory, he’ll definitely remain in the title shot mix, and another top contender will almost certainly be next. If Aldo wins that fight, a title shot could materialize,  provided Holloway is not holding the belt. After all, the Hawaiian champ has already defeated Aldo twice.

Now, if Holloway does elect to leave 145 behind and does so in the short term future(and Aldo defeats Stephens), however, things could get interesting for the Brazilian. Aldo might even be booked for a championship bout with Brian Ortega in that situation. As UFC on FOX 30 approaches, Aldo is ranked #2 and Ortega is #1.

But, lots of pieces need to fall into place before Aldo can get another shot at the belt. If Holloway does return to the cage in the not too distant future, and say, defends the belt against Ortega, Aldo’s window to reclaim the title will close that much more. Or, if Ortega wins the belt, Aldo would need to defeat a guy who has never lost, in order to get back the belt.

So, at this juncture, it’s not looking good, as far as Aldo’s aforementioned dream. But, if the vaunted fighter goes out and cruises through Stephens, there’s going to be a lot talk on Sunday as to whether Aldo’s ‘back’.

The post UFC on FOX 30: Could Jose Aldo go “Out as Champion”? appeared first on Caged Insider.

Caged Insider

UFC on FOX 30: Could Jose Aldo go “Out as Champion”?

(This post originally appeared on MMAFrenzy.)

Jose Aldo has repeatedly said that he still wants to reclaim the UFC’s featherweight title. But at the same time, the legend says his career is winding down. Could the former champ go out on top like he hopes?

Although it wasn’t too long ago really, when Aldo was talking about walking away from MMA, more recently, the Brazilian star’s insisted he wants to reclaim the 145 crown. As he gets set to fight Jeremy Stephens at UFC on FOX 30 this Saturday, Aldo has repeated that desire. But, the 31 year-old has also said he doesn’t plan to extend his fighting career, after his current contract is done (quotes via MMA Fighting):

”No, I don’t think so,” Aldo said. “It doesn’t cross my mind to sign a new contract after.”

”I think it’s easier because you know it’s coming near the end, so you have to give your all because you don’t want to go out on a loss, you want to go out on top…

”When you’re starting there’s that euphoria, but I remain the same. I dream of being champion and dream going out as champion. That’s my biggest motivation. … I take much pride in winning, I don’t accept losses, so I’m always going after that. The day I lose this fire, I think it’s time for us to stop.”

So, when you consider Aldo has talked about retiring before, or transitioning into pro-boxing, the fact he’s not interested in a new deal shouldn’t be a surprise. Further, Aldo talked about the fact that he wants to retire healthy, and while he is only 31, he’s been fighting for nearly 15 years.

But, could Aldo walk away from the game as the reigning UFC champ?  That’s going to be tough.

After Aldo faces Stephens this weekend he’ll have three bouts left on his current deal. If Aldo scores an emphatic victory, he’ll definitely remain in the title shot mix, and another top contender will almost certainly be next. If Aldo wins that fight, a title shot could materialize,  provided Holloway is not holding the belt. After all, the Hawaiian champ has already defeated Aldo twice.

Now, if Holloway does elect to leave 145 behind and does so in the short term future(and Aldo defeats Stephens), however, things could get interesting for the Brazilian. Aldo might even be booked for a championship bout with Brian Ortega in that situation. As UFC on FOX 30 approaches, Aldo is ranked #2 and Ortega is #1.

But, lots of pieces need to fall into place before Aldo can get another shot at the belt. If Holloway does return to the cage in the not too distant future, and say, defends the belt against Ortega, Aldo’s window to reclaim the title will close that much more. Or, if Ortega wins the belt, Aldo would need to defeat a guy who has never lost, in order to get back the belt.

So, at this juncture, it’s not looking good, as far as Aldo’s aforementioned dream. But, if the vaunted fighter goes out and cruises through Stephens, there’s going to be a lot talk on Sunday as to whether Aldo’s ‘back’.

The post UFC on FOX 30: Could Jose Aldo go “Out as Champion”? appeared first on Caged Insider.

Caged Insider

Jose Aldo Looking to End Career on a High Note Once UFC Contract Concludes

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight champion Jose Aldo will compete in his first non-title fight this Saturday since joining the promotion back in 2011, as he takes on Jeremy Stephens in a three-round tilt at UFC on Fox 30.
Recent News on Sherdog.com